Projects per year
Dr Kamaljit K Sangha works as an Outstanding Future Researcher in Ecological Economics at the Research Institute for the Environment and Livelihoods, Charles Darwin University. She has developed skills and knowledge in the trans-disciplinary area of Ecological Economics—intersecting ecological, economic, and social sciences—over the last 15-20 years. Her main research interests include:
- Understanding and highlighting the role of natural systems for human wellbeing (particularly, for Indigenous and local communities);
- Valuing ecosystems for their services (Ecosystem Services) to inform policy decision making;
- Developing Payments for Ecosystem Services (PES) mechanisms for local and Indigenous communities;
- Sustainable natural resource management by integrating socio-economic and ecological perspectives;
- Understanding the role of 'country' for wellbeing of Indigenous peoples through evaluating marketable (tangible) and non-marketable (intangible) benefits, and mainstreaming those links for policy development;
- Assessing the 'true value' of the small-scale agricultural systems to promote and support sustainable, local economies;
- Informing and advocating for transitioning towards developing local, sustainable economies.
Dr Sangha has been working closely with Indigenous communities in northern Australia. She has developed an Indigenous ecosystem services specific framework, applying the capability approach and suggesting two-way relationships between land and people. She has developed innovative methods to evaluate ecosystem services from local and Indigenous perspectives.
Dr Sangha has published >90 articles in various national and international journals and conference proceedings.
Central Queensland University
2000 → 2004
Award Date: 19 Jul 2004
Part-time Lecturer, University of Southern Queensland, Qld
2011 → 2014
Lecturer, James Cook University
2006 → 2010
Natural Resource Economist, James Cook University
2004 → 2006
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
31/03/21 → 31/08/22
Kegamba, J. J., Sangha, K., Wurm, P. & Garnett, S. T., Jan 2022, In: Global Ecology and Conservation. 33, p. 1-16 16 p., e01955.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile50 Downloads (Pure)
Assessing the Value of Ecosystem Services From an Indigenous Estate: Warddeken Indigenous Protected Area, AustraliaCoyne, C., Williams, G. & Sangha, K., 25 Apr 2022, In: Frontiers in Environmental Science. 10, p. 1-17 17 p., 845178.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Hernández-Blanco, M., Costanza, R., Chen, H., deGroot, D., Jarvis, D., Kubiszewski, I., Montoya, J., Sangha, K., Stoeckl, N., Turner, K. & van ‘t Hoff, V., Sep 2022, In: Global Change Biology. 28, 17, p. 5027-5040 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Sangha, K. K., Gordon, I. J. & Costanza, R., 15 Apr 2022, In: Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. 10, p. 1-11 11 p., 841215.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Russell-Smith, J., James, G., Dhamarrandji, A. M., Gondarra, T., Burton, D., Sithole, B., Campion, O. B., Hunter-Xenie, H., Archer, R., Sangha, K. K. & Edwards, A. C., 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Ambio. p. 1-21 21 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)